Post Marathon Day Report

I did it! But I was beginning to wonder …. I realise marathons play havoc with your head!

Having been dead laid back about this for weeks the nerves kicked in when I got off the train in Manchester on Saturday. This was probably why I wasn’t paying attention to where I was going and slipped off a very high kerb and jolted my back. It hurt! I spent the rest of the day worrying that I’d wake up in the morning unable to move.

The airbnb was OK and a lovely little Italian restaurant (just three tables) round the corner, so carb loading was sorted.

I think I managed about 2 hours sleep. I couldn’t stop thinking about the following day, testing the back out etc, etc. It was up at 6.30, porridge and off at 7.30 to meet Paul at a Travelodge not far from the start. This was almost an absolute nightmare. The phone hadn’t charged over night and I had about 15%. I was using the satnav to find the way but what started as 35 minutes kept going up, not down. I was in an industrial area somewhere or other, nobody around and the phone died! I saw someone and asked them where Salford Quays was. He looked at me and said ‘it’s miles away!’ It was now approaching 7.45 and I’m getting a little concerned.

But eventually a taxi driver came to the rescue. He wasn’t a fan of the marathon. The air was blue as he told me how it would affect his trade that day, but he got me to the Travelodge in time and it was a short walk to the start with Paul and his buddy – who was a 300 marathon runner, just a few ahead of Paul.

Queuing up in my wave was such an exciting feeling and when we finally passed the start line I gave myself a good talking to and set off.

The first 10 miles were on schedule, sub 10mm each one. My legs were feeling really heavy but no sign of any injuries. Then at mile 11, my IT band on the right knee started to hurt. This got worse and worse and by mile 13 or 14 I had to start a ‘walk/run’ strategy. The pace suffered as a result and I even hit 14mm at mile 19.

But at around mile 17 a wonderful, wonderful woman came to my rescue. She could see I was in bother and gave me an ibuprofen tablet. By mile 20 I was able to put in some good sprints, before having to stop again when the pain was too much.

The benefit of the occasional walks was I didn’t suffer the wall at all and I knew I’d be able to run to the line rather than hobbling over on my last legs. And this I did in 4 hours 38 minutes.


The support I received from spectators and other runners was unbelievable. This sport really brings out the very best in people. There are so many I’d like to go back to and give them a big hug.

I was a bit disappointed with the time to be honest. It was about 20 minutes slower than I’d hoped for and I knew I had it in me to go faster, but the knee wouldn’t play ball. Still, the good thing about a slow time is I’ll have something to beat on the next one.

Thanks for spending your Sunday supporting your old dad Anna, and Tom too! I missed my brother looking out for me in Altrincham. I’m absolutely hopeless at noticing people when I’m running, and there were so many runners I know he would have found it a challenge spotting me.



6 thoughts on “Post Marathon Day Report

  1. Brilliant Peter well done! I was at Altrincham to wave you on but even there, half way round, the route was still mobbed with runners so I must have missed you in the crowd.


  2. Opps. I need to edit the post! Now edited. Yes, it was a shame David, but I was really suffering by then so it was just as well you didn’t see me. Thanks for the support!


  3. You should NOT feel disappointed. a) you bloody did it. b) you did a decent time for your first go. c) you are in the middle of physio to sort out some stuff that, once sorted, will make your running much easier and stronger. d) you hurt your back the day before and jarred yourself and you were OK. e) you bloody did it.

    You didn’t hit the wall because you fuelled and hydrated correctly (when people run out of energy they HAVE to walk, which is different from taking a walk break because your knee is hurting). You had a good consistent pace. You can never predict a marathon – that’s part of the joy of them – and you did really well. I know I was disappointed being 1 min over the cut-off of my first one, but I did get over that!

    Massively well done. And I’m so pleased there’s no talk of giving up running, I really hate when people do that after their first marathon! Thank you for sharing your journey with us here, too – it’s a great set of reminders of what it’s like doing your first marathon.


  4. Thanks Liz. I’m feeling a lot more upbeat today and feeling chuffed about yesterday. I realise now just how much psychology has to play with marathons, at least when they’re new and so intimidating. I felt the same about my first half and then realised I could do them and didn’t get overawed at the prospect of the next. The goal now is to have the same attitude towards the marathon. Thanks to Phil’s help I had no hip pain at all yesterday and I’m hoping he can sort some exercises out for the IT band issue, if that’s what it is.
    Thanks for your support over these months. You’ve been fantastic and it’s really been appreciated!

    Liked by 1 person

    1. I’m sure Phil will help. He sorted out my IT band about a decade ago! And you’re most welcome – I’m glad I could give you some hints and tips along the way – and I’m glad you’re feeling better about yesterday now. It is a psychological thing and the ups and downs really smooth out as you do more of them, promise! I’m quite laid-back about the current one!


  5. You should feel really proud of yourself Pete! That is quite an achievement to run your first marathon when you’re having physio treatment (never mind hurting your back the day before!!!). Let’s hope it’s the start of many more marathons! Well done!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s